Pages

Banana Bread

Something that has become a staple in our house (mainly because Jocey begs for bananas when we go to the grocery store, then only eats half of the bunch) is banana bread. I've created a recipe that is a little healthier though. I don't like the banana breads that use all wheat flour or no butter. In my opinion, why shouldn't we use butter? It's natural! Anyway, Jocey helped with this recipe, too. One day when I made it, she turned the nob on the oven down and I didn't realize it until the bread was done. But, it was absolutely perfect! You know how sometimes you get banana bread that is soggy in the middle, or burned on the top? Guess I have a little chef in the making because when she did that, it turned out perfect. I tried it again today to make sure, and wow, I'm so impressed. Great bread. Hence, I'm giving both of us credit for this one (C for Cat, J for Jocey).

CJ Yates' Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
4 medium very ripe bananas
1/2 cup buttermilk*
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 2, 8-inch bread pans with shortening.
2. In mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
3. Pour batter into bread pans. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, then at 200 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Loosen loaf from bread pan by running a butter knife around the edges. Remove from bread pans and allow to completely cool before putting in baggies. Loafs will keep for 10 days when kept in refrigerator.

*Emergency substitution: I HATE to buy buttermilk just for the sole purpose of making this, so I make my own: 1 Tbs. lemon juice or white vinegar plus enough milk to make 1 cup.

No comments:

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected