Pages

Baked Butternut Squash

We have been visiting a local orchard every weekend this summer, and when they had butternut squash ripe, I had to get one. I've never tried it, but heard good things about it. I imagined it being sweet like a yam, so I tried to find a recipe that included brown sugar and cinnamon. But once again, I didn't quite find the recipe with the ingredients I wanted. So I tweaked it and this is what I came up with. My family LOVED it! Not too sweet, but sweet enough.

Baked Butternut Squash

Ingredients:
Butter (for greasing pan)
1 medium butternut squash, about 2 1/2 pounds
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 scant teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons cold butter

Directions:
1. Butter an 9x13-inch baking dish or shallow 2-quart casserole dish. Heat oven to 350°.
2. Quarter the squash lengthwise and cut off ends. Peel and scoop seeds out. Cut each slice in half.
3. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and flour. Combine with a fork. Place each squash piece into the mixture and turn to coat. Place into the prepared baking dish.
4. Into the remaining brown sugar mixture, cut in the butter until well combined. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the squash. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the squash is fork tender. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes longer.

No comments:

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected