Pages

Apple Pie a la Yates

For the year that Jon and I were dating, and then the whole first year we were married, Jon would brag about the apple pies that his Grandma Johnson would make. I hated apple pie growing up because they were always too sweet and mushy for me. I hate canned apples (used for making pies).

Well, the first Thanksgiving that we were married (right after Jocey was born), I endeavored on a quest to make Grandma Johnson's apple pie. Apparently I nailed it because everytime I make this pie, Jon is drooling for the 4 hours it takes to make it and let it cool. The key is to use at least 2 different types of apples, better if it is 3. I hate red delicious because they are too mushy and too sweet. I like to use 3 granny smith, 3 gala, and 2 fujis. Then the pie is a little tart, crisp, just perfect. I'm not going to include my pie crust recipe at this point in time, it's just a standard pie crust.


Apple Pie a la Yates
(with a little help from Grandma Johnson)



Ingredients:
8 medium apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
Dash of salt
2 Tbs. butter, cut into cubes
Pie crust recipe for 2 pie crusts

Directions:
1. Peel, quarter, core, and thinly slice apples. Place in a bowl and cover with cold water and 1 Tbs. lemon juice to prevent apples from becoming dry, brown, and mushy.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
3. Make your pie crust, placing one crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan.
4. In a large colander, drain apples. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl and add apples. Stir to coat apples. Pour apples into crust lined pie pan.
5. Place butter cubes over the apple mixture. Place second pie crust on top of apples, seal crust, and flute. Cut 4 slits in the crust to allow pie to vent.
6. Cover outer edges of pie with aluminum foil, folded over edges to prevent burning. Remove aluminum foil during remaining 15 minutes of cooking. Cook for 40-50 minutes or until mixture is bubbling up through vents. Allow to cool for 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected